Re: Min and Max - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Dennis Björklund
Subject Re: Min and Max
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 29 Nov 2002, Sergio Oshiro wrote:

> How can I get the rows of the children name and its "father" such that
> they have the min child_ages?
>
> -- the following does not return the child_name...
> select id_father, min(child_age) from children group by id_father;
> select id_father, max(child_age) from children group by id_father;

You could join one of the above with the table itself and get the result.
Something like

select * from (  select id_father, min(child_age)           from children       group by id_father) as r,
childrenwherechildren.id_father = r.id_father  and children.min = r.min;

--
/Dennis