test against regexp in database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Holger Marzen
Subject test against regexp in database
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi boys and girls,

as we all know, PostgreSQL can do selects on regexps. But I'd like to
store regexps in a table with the columns "from" and "to". The "from"
column should contain email sender adresses, and the "to" column should
contain faxnumbers the user is allowed to send faxes to (mail to fax
gateway). I'd like to uses regexps as well in the "to" column, say

from            to
holger@home.de  .*
you@aol.com     ^0123.*

and test against this. Of yourse I can do a select with "from=userid"
and then pipe the result through some commands that do the regexp check.
but is there a more elegant way to do this, maybe in a single select?

--
PGP/GPG Key-ID:
http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB5A1AFE1