Re: xBSD shmem doc deficiency - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jon Jensen
Subject Re: xBSD shmem doc deficiency
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 20 Nov 2002, Neil Conway wrote:

> However, the FreeBSD box I'm playing with isn't mine, so I'm not too
> keen to change sysctls (well, that and I don't have root :-) ). Would
> a kind BSD user confirm that:
>
>         (a) the sysctls above *can* be used to change kernel shared
>             memory settings, and the default value of the sysctl is
>             the kernel option referred to in the docs.
>
>         (b) do the above sysctls work on NetBSD and OpenBSD as well?

A quick look at OpenBSD 3.2 (man 3 sysctl) appears to show that all you
can do at runtime is enable/disable message queues, shared memory, and
semaphores, not adjust buffer counts or sizes. It seems the kernel must
still be recompiled with the desired new settings.

Jon