Upgrading from 7.1.3 to 7.2.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Aurangzeb M. Agha
Subject Upgrading from 7.1.3 to 7.2.3
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm having a horrible time trying to upgrade from 7.1.3 on our Linux RH
7.2 box to the latest version.

I first tried "up2date", which failed as it didn't even know there was ANY
update available for Postgres.

I then downloaded the new TAR for 7.2.3 and walked through the upgrade
steps in pg_upgrade.1, only to be brought to a screaching halt in step 2
of the upgrade:

    $ pg_upgrade -2
    pg_upgrade is for PostgreSQL version 7.2
    but /usr/local/G101/CMS/App/DB/PG_VERSION contains 7.1.
    Did you run initdb for version 7.1 by mistake?

When I found the NEW PgSQL bin, I re-ran initdb.  However, running
'pg_upgrade -2' gave me:

    Unable to find pg_resetxlog in your path.
    Install it from pgsql/contrib/pg_resetxlog and continue.  Exiting.

I put pgsql/contrib/pg_resetxlog in the new PgSQL bin
(/usr/local/pgsql/bin) but when I try to run pg_upgrade -2, I get:

    Locales do not match between the two versions.  Exiting.

What does that mean?  What do I do to get around it?

The (old) RPM's I have on my system are:

    $ rpm -qa | grep -i postgres
    postgresql-contrib-7.1.3-2
    postgresql-tk-7.1.3-2
    postgresql-libs-7.1.3-2
    postgresql-server-7.1.3-2
    postgresql-docs-7.1.3-2
    postgresql-tcl-7.1.3-2
    postgresql-7.1.3-2
    postgresql-jdbc-7.1.3-2

I'm ready to do the upgrade anyway possible, using pg_upgrade, not using
it, whatever.

If I do a new install, do I need to remove all the RPM installation I
already have on my machine?  What about everything that got installed
during the upgrade process?

Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks in Advance,
    Aurangzeb