Re: PostgresqlDataSource - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Aaron Mulder
Subject Re: PostgresqlDataSource
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
    PostgreSQL has a data source implementation, but it is not the
class you mentioned.  The docs are:

http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/jdbc-datasource.html

    You can get the DataSource in the JDBC 3 builds on the
jdbc.postgresql.org web site.  The implementation is not yet included in
the JDBC 2 builds, because it only supports JDK 1.3 and the JDBC 2 builds
target JDK 1.2.  However, I have been assured that the final PostgreSQL
7.3 driver set will include a JDBC 2 build with the data sources.  In the
mean time, if you need to use a JDBC 2 driver with the data sources, you
can build from CVS.
    PostgreSQL itself does not support the two-phase commit protocol,
so there is no XADataSource implementation.  I'm not sure if that's what
you mean by JTA/JTS.  In general, lacking an XADataSource, that's best
left to the app server instead of the JDBC driver.  Many app servers (such
as JBoss and WebLogic) can fake an XADataSource implementation for a
driver that doesn't support it, which works fine when everything works
fine, but causes heuristic exceptions otherwise.
    In any case, the pooling DataSource described in the documentation
above is enough to cause the connections to be reused, if that's what you
need.

Aaron