Re: Upper / lower cases on table and column names - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Achilleus Mantzios
Subject Re: Upper / lower cases on table and column names
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Reiner Dassing wrote:

> (PostgreSQL) 7.1.1:
>
> Hello all!
>
> I was trying to adopt a database application to PostgreSQL.
> (It is written for MySQL and Oracle using perl)
>
> During this process I recognized the phenomena that upper case letters
> of table names and column names are not preserved
> in PostgreSQL.
> Is this a "featue" of PostgreSQL or do I miss something?

Both :)

You may double quote the literals of names in pgsql,
but then in every statement you must retain the double quotes,
which is annoying.
Change the table name to something more meaningful.

> Example:
> Id and textId as a column name should conserve upper case letters 'I'
> but \d data converts it to lower case words:
>
> psql ...
> create table data ( Id int not null, textId int not null);
>
> \d data
>            Table "data"
>   Attribute |  Type   | Modifier
> -----------+---------+----------
>   id        | integer | not null
>   textid    | integer | not null
>
> and
> create table Data ( Id int not null, textId int not null);
>
> results in:
> ERROR:  Relation 'data' already exists
>
> In the interpretation of my application table 'data' and 'Data' is something
> different.
>
> --
> --
> Mit freundlichen Gruessen / With best regards
>     Reiner Dassing

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer
IT dept