Re: ORDER the result of a query by date - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Achilleus Mantzios
Subject Re: ORDER the result of a query by date
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, andres javier garcia garcia wrote:

> Hello;
> I've got the result of a query that appears as:
>  cod_variable | cod_station | year | month | day | rain
> ---------------------+-------------------+--------+----------+------+------
>  30201           | 7237           | 1953 |        1 |   1 |    2
>  30201           | 7237           | 1953 |        2 |   1 |    5
>  30201           | 7237           | 1953 |        3 |   1 |    0
>  30201           | 7237           | 1953 |        4 |   1 |   -3
>
> (Of course, thanks to Stephan Szabo for the method to obtain this from my
> strange source data. I didn't think this was possible.)
>
> After have done this query I've realized that I need the data to be ordered
> by date. Do you have any suggestion?

select <your cols>,year,month,day from <your table> order by
year,month,day.

Also take a look at date,timestamp data types.
Note that you can process your initial "strange" source
using tools as awk,perl,sh,C programs to format
your datasets in sql insert statements or
copy format.

> Best regards
> ----------
> Javier