Re: new String(byte[]) performance - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Aaron Mulder
Subject Re: new String(byte[]) performance
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Teofilis Martisius wrote:
> The things that take up most time now is transferring everything over
> network (PG_Stream.receiveTuple if i remember correctly) and allocating
> memmory for byte[] arrays. But I don't know any way to speed them up.

    There is probably room for improvement here under JDK 1.4, if we
want to get really fancy.  I think we could manipulate IO buffers to read
directly from the network into byte arrays, rather than reading in from
the network at the hardware level, allocating a new buffer in the program,
and then copying the data from the network buffer to the program buffer.
    But of course, IANAIOGuy; I've never actually tried that... :)

Aaron