Re: [SQL] arrays - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Achilleus Mantzios
Subject Re: [SQL] arrays
Date
List pgsql-general
I was wondering why is such a rage against arrays.

I posted 2 very common problems where arrays provide
the only natural (and efficient) fit. (and got no responses)
So it seems to me that:

- Arrays implementation (along with the intarray package) in postgresql
  is well performing and stable.
- Some problems shout out for array usage.
- The Array interface is defined in java.sql package.
  (I dont know if sql arrays is in some standard but it seems that
  Java sees it that way, at least).
- The Array interface is implemented in the official postgresql java
package.
- In some problems replacing arrays according the tradition relational
paradigm would end up in a such a performance degradation, that
some applications would be unusable.
- Oleg and Teodor did a great job in intarray, making array usage
 easy and efficient.

Thanx!

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer