Re: directional marks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: directional marks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
nngodinh@tiscali.it writes:

> I'm speaking about directional marks that are ignored by - for instance
> - by Microsoft SQL 7.0 because they're unuseful in that position (like when
> they're in a one way text either left-to-right or right-to-left). It may
> happen that this kind of symbols are randomly inserted: for example...

To me this sounds analogous to inserting tons of <space><backspace>
sequences into a string and expecting the software to automatically figure
out that they cancel.  It would be possible, but it would probably add a
lot of overhead and it doesn't seem to be requested a lot.  The best
solution is probably to fix your data.  Unless you can point to a Unicode
standard that states that such cancellation should happen.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net