Re: If there a bug in the psql or just a feature . - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vanmunin Chea
Subject Re: If there a bug in the psql or just a feature .
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hey Tom,
Thanks for the tips, Tom. I have that feeling from the start
(with the two different implementation) but never actually have a chance
to confirm with someone.

1. It there a way to store the dynamic array at all ?

I notice psql has a similar type - Single Dynamic Dimensional
Array. However there isn't any built in operators(<,<=,==,>,>=) for Array
to do sorting.

2. Can I write one up ?

regards,
Van.

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Vanmunin Chea <vac@cse.unsw.EDU.AU> writes:
> > // This one is not working
> > typedef struct Myindex {
> >     double *indexes;
> >     int level;
> >     int size;
> > } Myindex
>
> You cannot use a pointer inside a Postgres datatype.  The system will
> have no idea that the pointer is there and so will not copy the
> pointed-to data, nor update the pointer, when the datum is copied,
> stored on disk, etc.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Vanmunin Chea