Re: Bug #761: Date format ambiguity while insertion!!!! - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Bug #761: Date format ambiguity while insertion!!!!
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> My datestyle settings have been set as "ISO US(non european)" This would
> mean that my date values should get inserted in the mm-dd-yyyy format.

No.

First, "ISO" is only the output format.  Input is still accepted in most
"reasonable" forms.  Second, the "US" setting only defines how to resolve
input if there is ambiguity.  Third, the format you are using wouldn't
qualify as ISO either way you look at it.

> This may be a flexibility feature but then this I believe is extremely
> dangerous as it would accept user-errors without the user knowing it.

Yes, that's a good point.  But narrowing down the accepted formats would
probably break a lot of code, since the acceptable date formats tend to
vary heavily in the pretends-to-be-SQL world.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net