Re: [INTERFACES] libpgtcl - backend version information patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] libpgtcl - backend version information patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
Nigel J. Andrews writes:

> I've attached a patch for libpgtcl which adds access to backend version
> numbers.
>
> This is via a new command:

This doesn't truly reflect the way PostgreSQL version numbers are handled.
Say for 7.2.1, the "major" is really "7.2" and the minor is "1".  With the
interface you proposed, the information major == 7 doesn't really convey
any useful information.

> I envisage this patch applied to 7.3 tip and to 7.2 for the 7.2.2
> release mentioned a couple of days ago. The only problem with doing this
> for 7.2 that I can see is where people doing the 'package -exact require
> Pgtcl 1.x' thing, and how many of those are there? Even PgAccess doesn't
> use that.

Normally we only put bug fixes in minor releases.  PgAccess may get an
exception, but bumping the version number of a library is stretching it a
little.  If you're intending to use the function for PgAccess, why not
make it internal to PgAccess?  That way you can tune the major/minor thing
exactly how you need it.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net