Re: Replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Holger Marzen
Subject Re: Replication
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, George Osvald wrote:

> I am running Postgresql at my office and I am considering running it on the
> net as well. My ISP only has MYSQL so I would have to set up my own
> postgresql server on my user account. I have a few questions:

If you use PHP there then it is probably neccessery to recompile PHP
with --enable-pgsql.

> -Can I use replication over ADSL connection?

If it's a Unix/Linux box you can dump your local db and ssh to the
remote machine, running psql with i/o-redirection from the local
machine. ssh crypts and can compress on the fly.

You then don't need to open the postgres tcp-port to the world because
you run psql on the remote machine.

--
PGP/GPG Key-ID:
http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB5A1AFE1