Cannot restart the postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Cannot restart the postmaster
Date
List pgsql-general
  I've upgraded from 7.1.3 to 7.2, and I've tried to restart the postmaster
using (as root), /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql restart. However, this is what
I see:

$An old version of the database format was found.\nYou need to upgrade the
data format before using PostgreSQL.\nSee
/usr/doc/postgresql-7.2/README.rpm-dist for more information.

  I have no data in template1, and according to the README.rpm-dist,
restarting the postmaster (and I did a separate 'stop' and 'start', too)
should upgrade the database format. T'ain't workin' here.

  Please send suggestions as I'm on a roll now with my accounting package
and I want to continue working on it.

Many thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President