Re: Question: Who's Using Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Holger Marzen
Subject Re: Question: Who's Using Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Corey W. Gibbs wrote:

> any other server." "Opensource software isn't going any where." "Can we
> depend on it?" are common questions and statements I have heard.

Can we depend on it? That is the silliest question ever, baut hardly
anyone seeh to know why.

The important thing about software "in production" is not the price.
There is nothing wrong paying good money for good software. But software
that comes without source code is no good software. Why? Because the
manufacturer drops support for every version withing a few years. And
then you have software running that no-one can support.

You could say: "OK, so we spend a lot of money every year again and
upgrade to the latest version. We accept even the downtime." Yes, if you
are lucky. But the manufacturer will finally merge with a competitor or
simply vanish. Bang!

> I am not trying to start a ruckus or a flamewar, but I would like to know
> who's using Postgres out there.  What's the application?  How big are your
> databases?  Are you using Visual Basic or C to connect to it through ODBC
> or are you using a Web interface?

We use PostgreSQL as a database for web servers: raw data to generate
network statistics from (about 160.000 rows, growing) and user databases
for access privileges. I am very happy that I found mod_auth_pgsql, so
PostgreSQL tables can be used with .htaccess. Great!

Many people use MySQL for these purposes (and it's OK for simple
applications). But why use a lightweight database if I can enjoy
transactions, triggers and so on with the full-function PostgreSQL?

--
PGP/GPG Key-ID:
http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB5A1AFE1