Re: Beginner Questions Please: Which To Go With ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Beginner Questions Please: Which To Go With ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Robert11 wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Am about to sign up for an on-line database course (introductory)
>
> Apparently, one must have on their PC for the course either
>
> Access
> postgre
> mysql
>
> Am really new at this.
> Access is a problem, as the package costs is $200.00  Wow !
>
> I downloaded postgre, but I am a bit stumped on
> what to do next.
> The problem is I'm totally unfamiliar with ftp downloads.
>
> There are a bunch of folders.

There should be one master folder named something like

postgresql-7.4.2

cd into that directory, and read the INSTALL file.  Basically, you'll need
to do:

./configure
make
make install

to install postgresql, then you'll need to run initdb as the postgres
super user and start the database.  It's not that hard, really, just take
your time.

> I would like to evaluate postgre and mysql before the course actually
> starts.
>
> Also: what are the major differences between all 3 packages ?

Access is a single user database system designed for simple databases.
MySQL is a very simple database server designed for speed with one or two
users.
Postgresql is a full featured relational database server in the same class
as Oracle or db2 in terms of performance, scaling, and features.

> Which would be easiest to learn for a true database beginner ?

MySQL is easier to learn, but it teaches you bad habits.  Access is pretty
easy, but also has some quirks.  Postgresql is likely the hardest to
learn, but the most rewarding once you know it.  It is likely to be able
to "take you further" than the other two.

> Should perhaps I go with Access despite the cost ?  Is it "easier", or are
> the screens and interface 'better" ?

Just easier for a beginner.  The basic concepts of database don't get
easier to understand with any of the products, because the understanding
is the hard part, not the UI of the database.

> Want to learn one database fairly well, as I think it's something I should
> know, and would also look good on a job resume.

Learn Postgresql, it will take you farther (Oracle, db2, etc... will come
easier to you if you learn postgresql.)