Re: embeding postgre - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: embeding postgre
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, twosk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question, because i cannot find any information in online docs
> (maybe i'm just blind :P).
> I'm want to build application with embedded database, but i also need a
> possibility to have one global database, which can be accessed from internet
> (ability to synchronize between remote and local/embedded database). I heard
> from somone that i could use PostgreSQL, but I cannot find any information
> that confirms or denies it. And one more thing, i'm interested only in free
> solution ;).
> Sorry for if i made some mistakes, english is not my native language.
>
> I'll be appreciate for any information.

You should probably consider either firebird if you need a "real" database
with locking real transactions and all that, or sqllite if all you need is
a nice fast single user database with a sql interface.

Postgresql is really not suited to embedded applications.

Of course, in 50 years, when embedded applications are running on Star
Trek technology, and Postgresql is a quaint old thing, it might make
sense, but today, most embedded devices having memory in the hundreds of
megabytes designed to have only a few hundred thousand writes to each
memory cell, it's just not a good choice.