Re: Startup message issues - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: Startup message issues
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Chris Smith wrote:

> Hope you don't mind the sudden questions.
>
> I'm working through the JDBC driver code.  The connection code really confuses
> me.  It seems like if we're speaking the V3 protocol successfully, we ought to
> be able to assume that the server is at least 7.4.  That would seem to remove
> a lot of the complexity of the open-connection code for v3 - namely, the
> client encoding stuff that contains backward-compatibility code all the way
> back to 7.1, and the 'show autocommit' that seems to have been an issue only
> for 7.3.  Assuming 7.4, I think we could jsut assume autocommit and set the
> client encoding to UNICODE in the startup message, and be done with it.
> Right?

This would be a good thing to do.  I believe the V3 protocol was put in
with the goal of getting it working which meant a copy, paste, and minimal
edit.  So yes V3 implies 7.4 and it would be nice if it took full
advantage of what is offered.

Kris Jurka