Re: How can I have 2 completely seperated databases in - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: How can I have 2 completely seperated databases in
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Well, in postgresql you have a cluster, and inside the cluster, you have
databases, and inside the databases you have schemas.

You cannot cross database boundaries with transactions.  i.e. you can
begin a transaction, insert into two databases and roll it back.
Transactions live within a single database, and each database is basically
a completely seperate entity.

However, they would shared the same postmaster process, and both be
accessed by going to port 5432.  They would share log files, and most
likely share a directory (though there are a couple of different ways to
do that, it's not done most of the time, and doesn't gain most users a
lot.

So, you'll likely want one cluster / postmaster, with 2 or more databases
inside it.

Our main server at work handles 80 databases, some large, most small or
medium, and they are all seperate entities that I can dump seperately or
together, and give ownership to the user who needs to own that particular
db.

Will that get you what you want?