Re: Sometimes referential integrity seems not to work - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Sometimes referential integrity seems not to work
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Jan Wieck wrote:

> scott.marlowe wrote:

> >> TRUNCATE cannot be used inside of a transaction, and since 7.3 it checks
> >> for foreign keys. So I guess Enio is getting but ignoring the error
> >> message when trying the delete, but then the truncate does the job in
> >> his pre-7.3 database.
> >
> > Yes it can.  I think it was starting in 7.3.
>
> Okay, so you're the third one correcting me on this. Now can any of you
> violate a foreign key constraint with anything else than using truncate
> in a pre-7.3 database? Because I can't do that and that was the original
> problem.

Our production machine is running 7.2, and I get this:

begin;
BEGIN
=# truncate test;
ERROR:  TRUNCATE TABLE cannot run inside a transaction block
=# commit;
COMMIT
=# select * from test;info | id
------+----abc  |  1def  |  2
(2 rows)

So, at least in 7.2, it won't let me truncate.  I'm not running any 7.3
boxes, just 7.4 and 7.2, so I can't test it on 7.3.