Re: start/stop a database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: start/stop a database
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 tatyana.krasnokutsky@gsa.gov wrote:

> Hello,
> I am new in PostgreSQL world coming from Oracle.
> I have created two databases using command line as manual has suggested.
> For instance I have done like the following:
> createdb tanya
> createdb eps
> Now  I would like to stop my "tanya"  database and have "eps" database
> running.
> How can I do this?

I'm not sure I understand.  Do you want to be able to arbitrarily have one
or more databases up, while one or more are down, or do you think you HAVE
to shut down one database to start another?

If you need to have certain databases up / down, you can either use
pg_hba.conf to make them unavailable, or you can actually set up seperate
clusters on different ports and bring them up and down individually.

It's much easier to do this kinda thing via the pg_hba.conf file than it
is to do it via multiple clusters.

On the other hand, if you're thinking that one must go down for another to
come up, don't worry, you can run more than one database at a time just
fine under pgsql.