Re: [BUGS] BUG #1026: org.apache.commons.dbcp.DbcpException: The - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #1026: org.apache.commons.dbcp.DbcpException: The
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
> PostgreSQL version: 7.3.4

> attempt failed because failed getting backend
>
> We are trying to install DSPACE with POSTGRES.  When we run the ant
> fresh_install command we get the following error.  What could be causing a
> org.apache.commons.dbcp.DbcpException: The connection attempt failed because
> failed getting backend encoding?

Have you been able to establish a JDBC connection at all or is this error
only with dspace?

Could you enable logging on the server and see if that comes up with
anything interesting?  (Enable log_statement in postgresql.conf and
restart the server making sure the output is going somewhere other than
/dev/null)

What do you get from the results of the following queries when run in
psql?

SELECT version();

SELECT pg_encoding_to_char(1);

SELECT getdatabaseencoding();