Re: FW: OID, compatible=7.1 and getBinaryStream() in - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: FW: OID, compatible=7.1 and getBinaryStream() in
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 07:17:43PM -0500, Kris Jurka wrote:
>
> > Additionally doing some testing revealed another bug with compatibilty
> > version handling.  If the user does not explicitly specify a "compatible"
> > parameter it defaults to the jdbc driver version.  It should instead
> > default to the server version the connection is for because a newer driver
> > can talk to older databases.
>
> Is this correct? I thought compatible=X meant "behave like the driver in
> version X behaved" i.e. it was there for handling incompatible driver
> changes, not server-side changes.

Right, the actual problem was that some of the checks to determine whether
to use the V2 or V3 protocol were using the compatible version number
instead of the protocol version of the established connection.  This patch
fixes the real problem instead of mucking with the really unrelated
compatible parameter.

Kris Jurka

Attachment