Groups vs. Roles - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Roderick A. Anderson
Subject Groups vs. Roles
Date
List pgsql-general
While playing at a new/different configuration in my brand spanking new Pg
7.4 instance :-) I noticed in the documentation that GROUPs are not in the
SQL Standard.  So I go a looking and notice that Oracle does have ROLEs
and that they are quite different in how they are used.
   Looking at the TODO list I see there is an entry about adding some
GROUPy stuff so ROLEs can be implemented.  How close will ROLEs be with
these (object ownership) features added?  Not that I'm in hurry to have
ROLEs but they are SQL Standard so I need to plan for them to happen.
(Actually I'm more interested in TABLESPACEs.  :-)

Best,
Rod