Re: Triggers, Stored Procedures, PHP. was: Re: PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Triggers, Stored Procedures, PHP. was: Re: PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Jan Wieck wrote:

> scott.marlowe wrote:

> >> "yes sub queries" is IMHO as precise as "yes foreign keys" ... look,
> >> they have foreign key support, but do they have DEFERRED, ON DELETE SET
> >> NULL, ON UPDATE CASCADE, all the stuff that makes it complete?
> >
> > They're working on those things, but as usual, MySQL got the big things
> > mostly right, and the little things horribly wrong.  If you create a
> > table with type=innodb on a database server that isn't compiled to support
> > innodb tables, it will silently fail, and silenly allow you to build
> > non-existent foreign keys.
>
> Wasn't able to find any of their plans for match-types or deferrability.

Sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was adding to your point.  I.e.
besides not being deferrable or cascading, mysql lets you declare fks
relations that aren't actually there and throws no error.  I have read on
their mailing lists though that they are "working the problem," but MySQL
tends to be developed not in public, near as I can tell.