Re: 7.4RC1 tag'd, branched and bundled ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: 7.4RC1 tag'd, branched and bundled ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> I agree in general with you for these "general" arguments, but here we
> are talking about to introduce a sleep ( removable by guc ) or not! What
> about the hash refactoring introduced with 7.4? Are you going to
> discourage people to use the hash?

That's not fair.  Everyone's had the chance to test 7.4 betas 1 through 4
on their own hardware to see if it is safe and stable.  If I've load
tested the betas and found them reliable, and suddenly find that 7.4 rc1
or release were to be less reliable (I'm not talking about THIS patch in
particular, I'm talking about ANY patch...) than the betas I would be
upset that the change happened at the end instead of the beginning of the
release cycle.

I think this patch is a great idea, but it's probably got a lot of
refinement coming down the line.  I'd be glad to test it on the 7.4 branch
as a patch, but it's just too late to put performance enhancements into
the main branch.  Now is bug fixing time, not performance tweaking time.
That was pre-beta1 really.

To review: The hasgagg has had testing, and lots of it, by the people who
need it.  This patch has had little testing.  While I'm sure it's a fairly
safe change, and likely to be a good thing overall, it's just too late in
the cycle for it to get in.