Re: Response from MySql AB (Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Response from MySql AB (Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs.
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, Kaarel wrote:

> >Keep in mind, this is MySQL AB interpreting the GPL for you.  While they
> >can say all they want that you have to do this or that, the fact is, the
> >only document that says what you REALLY have to do is the GPL.
> >

> Does MySQL AB interpret their license as GPL at all? If they have made
> changes to the general GPL license then it's more like MySQL
> non-commercial license than GPL.

Having had a short dialog with the MySQL folks, they've said, for the most
part: "It's GPL.  If you're not sure, consult the GPL and the FSF."  I.e.
they aren't adding anything to the GPL, but they do try to interpret it in
such a way as to require commercial license purchase wherever possible.