Re: updating records - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: updating records
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Gene Vital wrote:

> Hi all.
>      I am using Visual FoxPro via ODBC to update records on a 7.3.4
> PostgreSql server and it appears that it always uses delete/insert
> instead of updating the current record. Can this be changed to update
> the existing record instead?

I'm not sure if you are saying that Foxpro is doing a delete / insert, or
that postgresql is doing one.

Every update in postgresql is, in fact, a delete / insert, with the delete
delayed until no more transactions are looking at that version of the row
and vacuum has been run.

So, if Visual Foxpro is in fact issuing a delete insert, it's likely no
great performance hit for postgresql, which would wind up doing the same
basic thing anyway.