Re: PostgreSQL Reliability when fsync = false on Linux-XFS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Reliability when fsync = false on Linux-XFS
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Federico Sevilla III wrote:

> (Please follow Mail-Followup-To, I'm not on the pgsql-performance
> mailing list but am on the Linux-XFS mailing list. My apologies too for
> the cross-post. I'm cc'ing the Linux-XFS mailing list in case people
> there will be interested in this, too.)
>

> Hi,
>
> We have a server running PostgreSQL v7.3.3 on Debian GNU/Linux with
> Linux kernel 2.4.21-xfs. The PostgreSQL data is stored on an XFS[1]

Two points.

1:  7.3.3 has a data loss issue fixed in 7.3.4.  You should upgrade to
avoid the pain associated with this problem.

2:  When you turn off fsync, all bets are off.  If the data doesn't get
written in the right order, your database may be corrupted if power is
shut off.