Re: Selecting random rows efficiently - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Selecting random rows efficiently
Date
List pgsql-performance
Can you just create an extra serial column and make sure that one is
always in order and no holes in it?  (i.e. a nightly process, etc...)???

If so, then something like this truly flies:

select * from accounts where aid = (select cast(floor(random()*100000)+1 as int));

My times on it on a 100,000 row table are < 1 millisecond.

Note that you have to have a hole free sequence AND know how many rows
there are, but if you can meet those needs, this is screamingly fast.