Re: Manage PostgreSQL Connections - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Manage PostgreSQL Connections
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Nagy Karoly wrote:

> Is there any way to close the connections of other users in PostgreSQL.
> I wish to run an automatic pg_dump and pg_restore and I guess users must be disconnected first.
> Is that right?

Actually, for a pg_dump, no, you don't need to disconnect people.  pg_dump
creates a single snapshot backup that is consistent across the database
you are backing up (not the whole cluster of databases, just the one
you're pointing pg_dump at at the moment.)

It really depends on what you are doing.  If you're gonna pg_dump / drop
database / create database pg_restore it might be a good idea to
disconnect people  so they don't lost data between the dump and restore.

the easy way to do that is to create an alternate pg_hba.conf in the
$PGDATA directory that only allows the postgresql superuser to attach and
then restart postgresql with that pg_hba.conf in place.