Re: FATAL: The database system is in recovery mode - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: FATAL: The database system is in recovery mode
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Kenéz Attila wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have got a problem with PostgreSQL 7.3.2 with cygwin under Windows 98. At
> our clients sometimes during normal work the database goes into recovery
> mode. I do not know what couses it, but it seems that this happens when one
> of the client applications freeze (or the client application freeze when
> this error occurs?). We got the same application and database under NT and
> Windows2000 and those work without problem. As I know the database could go
> into recovery mode only at startup time, am I right?
>
> Does anybody know what can be the problem and how can I solve?

I'd highly recommend against using postgresql with cygwin in production,
and further, very highly recommend against using it under win9x, due to
the stability issues on that platform.  Can you just put it on a Win2K or
better a linux box and let the clients all connect to that machine?

More than likely, when the client app crashes, it's causing a kill -9 to
be send the the backend, which is causing a the database to restart or
something along those lines.