Re: help yourself by helping others - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: help yourself by helping others
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Ali Adams wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am new to Relational Databases and SQL and my background in ODBs is clouding my way to solving what seems to be a
simpleproblem. I am sure many of you have met it many times.

> OK, I have a table as follows:
>

> ID Machine   Date             Withdrawals
> 1  1              01/01/2003    1101
> 2  2              01/01/2003    2101
> 3  3              01/01/2003    3101
>
> 4  1              02/01/2003    1102
> 5  2              02/01/2003    2102
>
> 6  1              03/01/2003    1103
> 7  3              03/01/2003    3103
>
> 8  2              04/01/2003    2104
> 9  4              04/01/2003    4104
>
> And i would like to create a monthly withdrawals report as follows:
>
> Machine   Day1  Day2  Day3  Day4 .............................................. Day31
> 1             11      12      13       0                                                      0
> 2             21      22      0        24                                                     0
> 3             31      0        33       0                                                      0
> 4              0        0       0         0                                                     0
>
> Can you please help?

What you need is a table that has all the dates you want a report on
already in it to join against.  Just something like:

day
---
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
29
30
31  <- or fewer for other months.

Just make a temp table to hold the days.  Then join against that using
extract().

If you get stuck let us know.