Re: Inquiry From Form [pgsql] - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Inquiry From Form [pgsql]
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 16:26:09 -0300,
>   Chris Schneider <cschneider@xede.com> wrote:
> > I know this is basic, but couldn\'t find and in a hurry to know the answer.  When interfacing with PostgreSQL
throughPSQL, it appears that DML statements are auto-commited, that is, a change I make in one session is seen from
anotherwithout the original session issueing a COMMIT.  Is this a result of PSQL interface and if so, can it be turned
off. Is PostgreSQL transactional in the sense that I can issue several DMLs and then ROLLBACK.  If so, how.  Thanks and
sorryfor the newbie question.

> Autocommit is the default mode for psql. Use "begin;" to start a transaction.
> And use "end;" to end a transaction. Note that unlike in sqlplus with Oracle,
> any errors while in the transaction will abort it and you have to start
> over.
>
> All DML and most DDL statements are rollbackable by 7.3. I believe in 7.4
> all DDL statements will be rollbackable.

Except drop database.  That's one that'll probably never be rollbackable
;^)