Re: Two weeks to feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Dann Corbit wrote:

> Vendor A: "We think our tool is pretty solid and our end users hardly
> ever turn up any bugs."
>
> Vendor B:" We think our tool is pretty solid and our 8500 tests
> currently show only 3 defects with the released version, and these are
> low impact issues.  To view our current database of issues, log onto web
> form <page>."
>
> Which tool would you prefer to install?

The one I've tested and found to meet my needs, both now and by providing
fixes when I needed it.

Real world example:  We run Crystal Reports Enterprise edition where I
work.  It's tested thouroughly (supposedly) and has all kinds of QA.
However, getting it to work right and stay up is a nightmare.  It's taken
them almost a year to get around to testing against the OpenLDAP LDAP
server we use.  The box said "LDAP V3 compliant" and they assured us that
it was.  Well, it doesn't work with our LDAP V3 compliant LDAP server at
all, and the problem is something they can't fix for months because it
doesn't fit into their test cycle.

Real world example: Postgresql aggregates in subselects.
Someone found a bug in subselects in Postgresql with inner references to
outter aggregates.  The postgresql team delivered a patch in less than a
week.  User tested it and it works.

I'm not against testing and all, but as one of the many beta testers for
Postgresql, I do feel a bit insulted by your attitude that only a
cohesive, organized testing effort can result in a reliable product.

I take my support of Postgresql seriously, and answer many questions every
week in the general, sql, and performance mailing lists.  I'm not paid to
do it, I stay at work an extra hour or so each day to "pay for it."  I
test every beta and RC release on our dataset at work, and with a test
load to make sure it works for us, and it does.

I offered to beta test for Crystal Reports and was told they weren't
interested, they can do it in house.  Their support, like many big
commercial houses, is designed more to make my boss's boss happy, not me,
and it shows every day in how they fail to provide timely support for
their product while playing CYA to the higherups.