Re: postgreSQL on NAS/SAN? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: postgreSQL on NAS/SAN?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Daniel Seichter wrote:

> Hello,
> is it possible, to use a postgreSQL database on a NAS or a SAN? I
> somewhere read, that you should not install a database to a RAID5 but the
> most NAS and SAN I know, are using RAID5.
> Does anyone know aout anything like this?

RAID5 is fine for a database.  It provides a fair compromise between
speed, safety, and economy.  If you need more speed, you might need to go
to a RAID 1+0 (or 0+1).

running postgresql on a NAS or SAN is quite doable, but you should test
your configuration carefully.  Note that many NAS units report write
completion upon receipt of the data (i.e. before it's actually written) so
you may have data integrity issues should the power go out in the middle
of a transaction.

SANs are generally more robust than NAS, but I'm not that familiar with
running a database on one.

One thing you CANNOT do is allow two postmasters to write to the same data
store.  That WILL corrupt your database and cause problems.