Re: Nulls get converted to 0 problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Nulls get converted to 0 problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Vincent Hikida wrote:

> > FYI, "" does NOT equal NULL does not equal 0.
>

> Interesting, I noticed that a few days ago. I noticed that in pg sql, if I
> used RTRIM on a column with all blanks. the RTRIM'ed result is not null. In
> Oracle I think it would be a null. That is in Oracle "" and NULL are
> equivalent.

Yeah, this is an issue we run into a lot on the lists.  Basically, Oracle
got this one wrong, people wrote a lot of code expecting it, and now
Oracle can't change it to the proper behaviour without breaking folks'
applications.

There is a setting in postgresql that turns where field=NULL into where
field IS NULL, but I don't think there's much more support for "" being
equivalent to NULL.