Re: caching query results - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: caching query results
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 21 May 2003, alex b. wrote:

> hello all
>

> I've been wondering, if it was possible to cache the query results...
>
> the reason I ask is because of a script I wrote recently... each request
> takes up to 4 seconds... that ok, because its quite a bit of data... but
> instead of always collecting the data again and again some kind of cache
> wouldn't be all too bad.
>
> assuming that all queries are always the same - except for the OFFSET..
> - LIMIT stays the same.

Query caching is not likely to be added any time soon, as it is generally
believed to be the job of the application to cache data it needs cached.
Not that a good query cache patch would never be accepted, it's just not
on anyone's list of things to do.

Does your application development environment allow persistant
connections?  If so, then maybe you could declare a cursor and use that?