Re: pg_dump / pg_dumpall / memory issues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: pg_dump / pg_dumpall / memory issues
Date
List pgsql-general
On 9 Apr 2003, Ericson Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a nightly backup going on our db server. We use pg_dumpall ,
> which when its done, generates a text dump around 9 Gigs.
>
> Most nights, the backup runs at around a load of 2.5 -- with a normal
> load of arount 2 -- (this on a dual 2.4Ghz Xeon machine with 6GB ram).
> Our schema has a huge table (about 5 million tuples) which gets queried
> about 30 times per second. These queries fetch one records at a time
> pretty evenly throughout this large table, so I would imagine this table
> would dominate the shared RAM (currently set at 320MB).
>
> As you can imagine, at times the backup process (or in fact any large
> query that dominates the cache), tends to spike up the load pretty
> severely. At some point, we experimented with more shared memory, but
> that actually decreased overall performance, as was discussed here
> earlier.
>
> What can we do to alleviate this problem? Its going to be difficult to
> not query the large table at any given time (24/7 service and all).
>
> Are there any strategies that we can take with pg_dump/pg_dumpall? My
> dump command is :
> > pg_dumpall -c > /tmp/backupfile.sql

What version of pgsql are you running?  I've gotten MUCH better backup
restore performance on 7.3 series than I did with 7.2.  I can backup 1 gig
of data in about 10 minutes across 100 Base Tx network with a pipe like
so:

pg_dump -h hostname databasename | psql databasename

It took something like 30 minutes to an hour before to do this in 7.2.x.

(My box is a dual PIII 750 with 1.5 gig ram, and a 10KRPM UWScsi drive for
the database seperate from the system.)