Multiple References on one Foreign Key - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Keith C. Perry
Subject Multiple References on one Foreign Key
Date
List pgsql-general
I hope this is the right place to ask this question.  I've search the
archives
the news groups and could not find anything so I apologize if this has
been
answered previously

Here is my sample table:

CREATE TABLE master2 (
  id int primary key,
  name varchar(32),
  nickname varchar(32),
  unique (name,nickname)
);

This issue is this:

create table reftest2 (
 id int primary key,
 invited varchar(32),
 foreign key (invited) references master2 (name,nickname) on update
cascade on d
elete
 cascade
);

This produces the following message:

"ERROR:  CREATE TABLE: number of referencing and referenced attributes
for
foreign key disagree"

The idea is that I want to have invited in reftest2 be constrainted
against name
and nickname in the master2 table (actually I really don't want to
"unique
(name,nickname)" in master2, I'd rather have name and nickname be
unique within
themselves if possible)

Is this possible?

--