Re: Please help with this error message - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Please help with this error message
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Chris Smith wrote:

> Okay, after looking through several pages of those search results and
> finding nothing that resembles a link to a disk or memory test, I gave up.
> Again, since this happens on multiple servers, it's unlikely to be a
> hardware problem in the first place.  Anyone have other ideas?

Until you prove your hardware is good, you can't be sure it's not the
problem, and therefore it's not worth your time to try and fix until
you're sure.  and just because more than one machine does it does not mean
it's not hardware.  We had a supplier for a while who sent out machine on
which probably 75% of them had single bit memory failures.  It took months
of my time to test all the boxes we'd already bought and find all the bad
memory, and we had to start testing all machines coming in the door .

http://www.memtest86.com/
In linux use badblocks or the -c switch with mkfs to check a hard drive.