Re: The folding of unquoted names to lower case in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: The folding of unquoted names to lower case in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> "scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> writes:
> > Any chance a patch to set a GUC for case folding would get applied?
>
> Not really, because it would break everything in sight.  (Hint: all the
> system catalog names are lower-case ...)

Right, we've mentioned it before.  I still think it would be possible to
make one stick, as long as you either had some kind of kludgy wrapper for
system catalogs, or a way to make them uppercase after booting up.

I maintain that if postgresql works out of spec, it should, if possible,
have a way of working within the spec if it can, so we can attract more
conversion customers from the (currently) more comlpiant databases.