Re: PostgreSQL and XML - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and XML
Date
List pgsql-general
On 14 Mar 2003, Tony Grant wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 19:16, scott.marlowe wrote:
>
> > > OK so it is Friday afternoon - I'll just go to the fridge and get a beer
> > > now...
> >
> > Wow, what is it with you guys and your unsupported assertions against PHP
> > today.  First on hackers and now on general.  You don't PHP, don't use it.
> > You want the website done in JSP, then do it and quit bitching about
> > someone else's choice of tools.
>
> Tongue in cheek Friday nonsense OK.
>
> I don't like or use PHP for personal reasons but it was just a bit of
> end of week fun in very bad taste.
>
> It is called unwinding.
>
> No harm meant. No harm felt?

It's ok, but it gets real old when, after a year or two, you constantly
hear how PHP is crap and JSP is the only way to go, when the people saying
it are in the marketing or sales department and wouldn't know java or php
code if it bit them on the buttocks.  Yet, they parrot this stale old
stuff over and over, and eventually, they really do start to affect policy
decisions based on emotion rather than logic.

Being of Vulcan descent, this bugs me to no end.

Plus, do you really want all the PHP folks to stick to MySQL and never
learn Postgresql?  PHP may well be your biggest potential market.  If a
new PHP developer is reading this list, he may well have headed over to
MySQL to see what it has to offer, since he's not gonna feel very welcome
here.

Besides, we all know the one true language is RPL...  :-)