Re: SQL99 ARRAY support proposal - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: SQL99 ARRAY support proposal
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> On Friday 14 March 2003 13:24, scott.marlowe wrote:
> > I vote for explode / implode as easier to type and remember than join_str.
> > Also, in the SQL world, it's very likely that a back ground in
> > ADA/LISP/REX/PHP is just as common as Perl or Java.
>
> If we're voting I vote for join/split.  Implode and explode just sound
> unprofessional to me.  Minor point but it's just preference, right?

Sorry, but that's really not much of a reason.  I listed several reasons
why ANY OTHER CHOICE is better, not just explode / implode.

I think those reasons make sense.  You didn't address any of them in your
choice, only the fact that you don't like explode/implode, so I'll assume
you didn't have any real issues with the reasons I listed for not using
join/split, just with the words explode/implode.

If that's the case, the perhaps a compromise is in order, i.e. anything
BUT join/split or explode/implode.

But then the problem is that there are probably no other common words I'm
familiar with that any other languages use to go from string to array and
back that we are likely to glom onto.