Re: General Performance questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: General Performance questions
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Delao, Darryl W wrote:

> I have been monitoring netstat -c on my db server for a few days now.  I am
> trying to determine if when I see a postgres connection, if that is indeed
> just 1 connection or if it is a bunch of connections tied up in 1.  The
> other day I had postgres set to a limit of 128 connections, and that was
> reached.  But at no time while monitoring netstat -c did I see 128
> connections!  At this point, im assuming that netstat-c does not provide an
> accurate count of current connections.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

something on your machine is horribly wrong.  You should, on an unloaded
box, be able to open at least 100 connections a second.  1,000 or more is
common.

What OS etc... are you running?  What does free, top, or ps ax|grep post
show during this process?  Are you running out of swap or free memory or
something like that?  Is there a lot of disk access when you connect
(iostat -x)???