Re: Hwo to set timeout for PHP persistent connections - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Hwo to set timeout for PHP persistent connections
Date
List pgsql-general
On 3 Mar 2003, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:

> Ciao guys,
>
>    I need to set a reasonable low value of timeout for inactive
> connections, as they seem to stay up when a PHP script calls a
> pg_pconnect on the database server.
>
>    As its main purpose is to serve a Web application, I'd love
> connections to get close after 10-15 seconds of inactivity.
>
>    Is there a run-time configuration I can set in Postgres?

As an addendum to my previous post, you can set the max number of requests
an apache child will process before it is recycled, the setting is called
MaxRequestsPerChild and if you set it to 0 (the default) then apache
processes are never killed unless you have more than the max sitting idle.

Setting it something fairly low, like 20 or 50 or 100 means that the
connections won't last forever, as eventually that child will be killed
off and it's connection will die.

Also, setting StartServers to something low, like 1 will result in more
processes getting recycled.