Re: location of the configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: location of the configuration files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, scott.marlowe wrote:
>
> > If I do a .tar.gz install of apache, I get /usr/local/apache/conf, which
> > is not the standard way you're listing.
>
> I'm going to stay out of this argument from now on, but this struck a sore
> point.
>
> /usr is designed to be a filesystem that can be shared. Is the stuff in
> /usr/local/apache/conf really supposed to be shared amongst all machines
> of that architecture on your site that run apache?

Interesting.  I've always viewed usr EXCEPT for local this way.  In
fact, on most of my boxes I create a seperate mount point for /usr/local
so it's easier to backup and maintain, and it doesn't fill up the /usr
directory.

Asking for everything in a directory with the name local in it to be
shared is kind of counter intuitive to me.