Re: how to start with postgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-php

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: how to start with postgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-php
On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, _root.paulSutcliffe wrote:

> how can I do to create users, create a data base and make it work in
> postgreSQL? I can do it on mySQL but not in postgreSQL , they are not
> supossed to be the same? I have php 4 in mandrake 9 , and i'm doing
> local tests on my pc , but i don't have lan,  i will apreciate the help
> of anyone who helps me.

No, they're not the same, and sadly for your future database experiences,
this is one area in which most databases are not the same.

you'll need to take a quick tour of the administrators guide:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/view.php?version=7.3&file=admin.html

the quick skinny is that you can use the command line tools as the
postgres super user (su - to root, then su - to postgres) to create
databases and users to start.

createuser
createdb

should work.

but you really need to read the administrators guide a bit to get a feel
for the things you'll likely need to know.

We'll teach ya to fish, we won't fish for ya...