Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL and memory usage - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL and memory usage
Date
List pgsql-performance
Oh yeah, sorry.  My box has 1.5 gig ram, but it is an application server
that runs things other than just postgresql. It also runs:

Apache
Real Server
OpenLDAP
Squid
Samba

with all those services fired up and running, as well as postgresql with
256 Megs of shared buffer, I have about 900 megs of cache and 100 megs
free ram.  Since a lot of data is flying off the hard drives at any given
time, favoring one service (database) over the others makes little sense
for me, and I've found that there was little or no performance gain from
256 Megs ram over say 128 meg or 64 meg.

We run about 50 databases averaging about 25megs each or so (backed up,
it's about 50 to 75 Megs on the machine's hard drives) so there's no
way for ALL the data to fit into memory.